Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Sneak Peek Wednesday (8/7/13)

   
The Park West garden at night
     Kevin could feel the beads of sweat seeping from around his hairline, and could only guess at the shade of red coloring his face.  No one should ever have to witness the scene he just had the misfortune to see.  And anyway...who the hell planned that kind of "thing", and didn't make sure the door was locked?  Knowing Beckett, he probably did it on purpose.  Because he could.  And although the man was supposed to be his friend, and now his sister's husband, it didn't change his conviction that the guy could be a real asshole when he wanted to be.

      There was no way he was going back down that hall to look for a mop, so instead, headed back to the ballroom.   A few busboys were in the process of finishing the accident's clean-up, and people were beginning to find spaces at their respective tables.  A search among the guests for Roxanne proved fruitless, and for the second time today, he wondered where she had disappeared.  He had come so close to apologizing.  To finally making some type of amends, and putting that whole awful memory behind them both.  Then he had to go and screw it up by being the world's biggest klutz, dragging this dreaded moment out even longer.

       Not in the least bit interested in dinner, he thought he might step out for some air.  Clear his head, and regroup his thoughts.   From the corner of his eye, he could see his brother Patrick, and Jamie's wife Katie, having a heated discussion.  Kate waved her her hand, and motioned him over, but not up for being family negotiator, he ignored her, and slipped quietly out the east door.  The rain had finally stopped, but the night air was thick and humid, full of the wet, green smell of summer growth. And... something very much else.  Rounding the corner of the building, and acknowledging the security guy on duty, Kevin moved toward the hotel's deserted garden, using his blood hound nose to follow the curious odor.

_________________________________

     Well, dear readers...it's that time of year again.  I'm packing up, and heading back to school! My contract begins next Wednesday, and I will be attending meetings and workshops, in between setting up my classroom for the new year, until school officially resumes on August 26th.  Therefore, due to time constraints, I will no longer be posting the Wednesday Sneak Peeks.  Today is the last one of the summer.

      I still plan on posting a new chapter on Saturday mornings, at least until I've finished the current storyline.  As always, I am most appreciative of your continued loyalty to this blog, especially the very kind souls who comment regularly here on the page, as well as in personal emails, and on my Facebook wall.  You give me what every author needs the most...readers.  And for that, I am eternally grateful.

Thank you so much,
Vicki


 

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You will NEVER guess what Fr. Kevin finds in that garden..

      VR

      Delete
  2. hechare de menos los avances de los miercoles , pero estare atenta a la publicacion del sabado

    besitos

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Mari,
            No puedo creer que ya es hora de empezar la escuela. Summer pasó demasiado rápido. Trabajo diario Darn se interpone en el camino de mi escritura. LOL
      Un abrazo a ti,
      Vicki

      Hello Mari,
      Can't believe it's time for school to start. Summer went by too fast. Darn day job gets in the way of my writing. LOL
      Hugs to you,
      Vicki

      Delete
  3. What does he smell something interesting i am sure :D
    Good luck with school.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Maria!
      Knowing Fr. Kevin's propensity for getting into trouble...it could be just about anything. LOL
      Best to you,
      Vicki

      Delete
  4. Hi Vicki! Where did the Summer Go???? I do hope you will keep writing and posting this story! I am really enjoying it! The Plot twists are fun and the characters are entertaining... and I'm getting attached! I want all the ends tied up in a neat Lovely package by the end! But a roller coaster on the way there is good fun! I love the settings you are putting together with your "characters"... the costumes and the photos are wonderful! But I Have to find out what happens to Kevin and Roxie!!! And Maureen and Ted of course! Keep up the Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy!
      How nice of you to say such lovely things! I'm thrilled that I was able to create characters people seem to like and care about. I promise that when ever I decided to end the storyline, I will do my very best to try and wrap it up. But for the time being, I really enjoy the time I spend writing, so come hell or high water (and a very demanding day job), I'm going to work at making time. I have a novel outlined that I haven't actually started writing, and a whole series of stories about Roxie I want to explore as separate novellas or short mysteries. Sigh...so many ideas....so little time. LOL
      Thank you for the compliments about the mini scenes and dolls. High praise from someone who is as talented as yourself. (Honestly, your cathedral ceiling with the saints is amazing...as is the rest of the house!) It's been fun to try and work with what I have, and build or make what I need. Getting good at fooling the eye with that ipad camera.
      Appreciate the support! Hugs to you,
      Vicki

      Delete